Saturday, December 8, 2007

Eight miles --- in the books!!!

I did it!! I ran eight miles today as part of the virtual 8 on the 8th run, put together by fellow runner and blogger Nancy! It was awesome!!

Here is my proof (Note: the time says it was 1:58 p.m., but I haven't set the time back to standard time. That is daylight savings time it is showing. It was really 12:58 when I finished):



I will start by saying this run went SO much better than I expected. Last night I was so nervous that I couldn't fall sleep. I was worried about everything. Would I be able to finish? Would I run out of water? Would I die somewhere in Mile 7?

All those fears started to fade after I started running. The weather was gorgeous today (partly sunny , but windy and quite chilly), so I wore a light fleece over my long-sleeved wick-away shirt and my totally stocked fuel belt on top of that. The wind turned out to be a blessing down the line, as it kept me from getting too warm in the fleece. The first miles were quite uneventful. My body felt good. My mind was cooperating (no psyche outs!)And I had some great tunes on my iPod to run to.

One of the best things I did was take a quick fuel break at the start of Mile 5. I brought a Gu along (gawd, I hate those things. So gross, but they work!) and choked it down in front of Ray's Food Place. Took a huge swig of water to push it down and took off again. About 20 seconds later, I started having a coughing fit and imagined that chocolate Gu ending up in a puddle by my toes. Luckily, that didn't happen and I kept on truckin'.

I was nearing Mile 6 when I realized that this was it, my final push toward the finish. I got a little teary at that thought. Heck, I wasn't even sure I could handle this distance and there I was, running it and keeping my pace below what my goal pace was. I knew at that point a half marathon was not out of reach.

The last two miles were again uneventful. That was good. I didn't die. I didn't fall and break an ankle. I didn't run out of water (woo hoo!). I ran eight miles, and felt really damn good when I was done.

I can't wait to run nine. :-)

Today's stats:
Run:
Distance: Eight miles
Time: 1:28:55
Pace: 11:06 minute/mile (goal had been 11:15 minute/mile)

9 comments:

Bob A said...

Nice job and congrats on your personal best distance.

Mary Gee said...

Yay for you! That is awesome. This post made me smile from beginning to end. Thanks for sharing.

J said...

Great race report! You did a great job! (I hate those Gu's also. Blech.)

David said...

See, the stroller runs are paying off! Way to go, and that's a great time (both elapsted time and event experience)! So nice when the body cooperates with the will to push forward.

Chocolate GU = yuck when mid-exercise. I like the lighter fruit flavors, and apple cinnamon (Carb Boom) gel is usually easy for me to stomach.

Nancy said...

Oh wow, that's just fantastic!!

Sorry you were nervous, but I'm so glad you got out there and did it. Great work.

Nanc

Sonia said...

WOOHOO!! You rock Michelle! congrats on accomplishing this milestone! =)

Wes said...

Fantabulous! That just proves you are a strong runner!!

Mendy said...

Yah!!! (sorry so late responding)

You did so well!! All that nervousness for nothing. Way to go!!!!

Laurel said...

You could soooooo easily do a half-marathon with the right training. Great job on an awesome run.